Go together, go far. discover new locations with spaces designed for you and the people you love
Senior Policy Associate
Who we are...
AvantStay delivers exceptional, unique stays for group travelers. The company has built a tech-enabled millennial hospitality brand to be the new standard for group experience. We are venture funded and growing rapidly in the explosive $100+ billion dollar STR industry.
What we are looking for…
A Senior Policy Associate who will support in actively identifying opportunities for growth that have emerged from the complex short-term rental regulatory environment. This policy specialist will know land use, planning, zoning and short-term rental regulations inside and out, but perhaps more importantly, be able to apply a strategic lens to how they can apply this knowledge. We are looking for someone who can build trust with local authorities and key stakeholders; expedite permitting processes; has experience interpreting different policy instruments within the context of a growing business; can apply their expertise to stay ahead of the curve of a consistently evolving landscape; and always thinks creatively about problems and solutions.
What you’ll do…
- Support the policy and compliance function at AvantStay - keeping abreast of regulatory developments in all key markets and interpreting them into actionable policies, processes and procedures that mitigate against regulatory risk and drive revenue.
- Assist in the development and execution of the company's growth strategy, conducting analyses to assess the opportunities presented by differing approaches to short-term rental regulation across jurisdictions, as well as different zoning, permitting and licensing requirements.
- Monitor, interpret and influence short-term rental and transient occupancy use regulations across markets - using this information to provide advice and make clear, actionable recommendations for every arm of the business.
- Develop localized stakeholder engagement strategy and partnership programs that insulate the business against regulatory risk and help to maximize revenue, acting as the key liaison between government, owners and the business.
- Establish new and maintain existing relationships with an extensive network of contacts in local government, planning departments, regional tourism, commerce departments, land use attorneys, real estate developers, as well as with KOLs, allied groups and coalitions.
- Work with the business to develop scalable market entry and growth strategies for each of our asset classes: large single family homes, boutique hotels, and multi-family assets in markets across the USA and beyond.
What you’ll bring…
- 4+ years experience working with land use, planning, real estate and/or short term rental regulations and a demonstrated track record of success in getting projects permitted and identifying opportunities for new projects and/ or developments. Experience working as or with an expediter on hotel or commercial project a bonus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
- Commercial acumen and the ability to quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues whilst understanding the business case and being able to develop quantitative analysis to support recommendations.
- Demonstrated capacity for critical thinking, research, and analysis and a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure while demonstrating thoughtful business judgment and strategic thinking. Skilled at handling a variety of assignments simultaneously. Flexibility and willingness to work at a rapid pace in strict time frames.
- Exceptional communication skills and interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Legal right to work in the United States.
When you join AvantStay…You’ll be doing work that matters alongside an experienced and dynamic team, transforming the way people travel and vacation. Your place within the colossal travel and real estate industries will leave you with a wealth of opportunities to feel both challenged to innovate and rewarded for your efforts. Of course, we will offer you pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. AvantStay is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at AvantStay.
Perks and Benefits- Salary: $65,000-$85,000+
- Stock option plan
- Benefits and Unlimited Paid Time Off
- Team bonding and off-site events
- Complimentary and discount stays at AvantStay properties
- Dog-friendly office
Equal Employment Opportunity...
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Stock option plan
Benefits and unlimited paid time off
Team bonding and off-site events
Complimentary and discount stays at avantstay properties
AvantStay at a glance
AvantStay focuses on Real Estate, Hospitality, Tourism, Technology, and Travel. Their company has offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and West Hollywood. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, AvantStay has raised $25M of funding; their latest round was closed on July 2019 at a valuation of $85M.