Live subtitles for any conversation. enjoy 24/7 access to conversations around you
Backend Engineer (Algorithm-Focus)$80k – $130k • 0.2% – 0.5%
Build the infrastructure of human connection with us.
Why this Role?
- Actually change lives at an unprecedented scale: How often do you hear about apps that make people cry of joy? It is really for us a unique opportunity and privilege to be able to meaningfully improve the lives of 100,000s of people - and yet to still be at the very beginning of our mission!
- Join us at an incredible time: We're well-funded and hit product-market fit, which gives us a huge green field to work with. You'd join at the perfect time to shape what we build and how we grow, so we can create a more inclusive world.
- Work with some of the best people in the world: We have an incredibly talented and passionate team that is a lot of fun to work with. We're still super small and have accomplished some things that were thought impossible!
- Tackle our most interesting and impactful problems: Our team is still small, and people wear many hats. You'd jump between product, marketing, internal tools, process — participating in every phase from inception to implementation. Absolutely no boredom.
So... what will you do as a Backend Engineer at Ava?
- You'll help scale Ava as a key communication service millions of deaf/hard-of-hearing users & their peers can rely on.
- You'll design and build a reliable and performant infrastructure on projects - such as improving the reliability of our realtime audio & text sync service.
- You'll conceive algorithms to accommodate real time multi-editing and audio processing.
- You'll write our new API to accelerate & build integrations with multiple complementary productivity & communication services.
- You'll be designing and improving key security features to keep Ava safe for all, including for our professional users.
You'd be perfect for this role if:
- You have experience scaling production software. You've worked on a product experiencing rapid growth and understand what needs to be done to scale to the next level.
- You can readily learn most technologies as you go. To you, technologies are about tools and tradeoffs, not an ideology.
- You care about the business implications of anything you build. You're not just going after cool stuff — you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- You're fluent with Typescript, NodeJS, bash, Python (basics), algorithmic basics, AWS, Jenkins, Docker, Terraform.
- Bonus: You have dabbled into React.js
- Bonus: You've spent meaningful time as a senior engineer or tech lead — or even better, you've managed a team before.
Meet your team
Ava Accessibility at a glance
Ava Accessibility focuses on Mobile, SaaS, Healthcare, Health Care Information Technology, and Artificial Intelligence. Their company has offices in San Francisco and Paris. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Ava Accessibility has raised $1.845M of funding; their latest round was closed on November 2016.