Live subtitles for any conversation. enjoy 24/7 access to conversations around you
Machine Learning Scientist
Reinvent speech recognition technologies to empower us collectively.
AI is an incredible thing, especially when we put it to the service of humanity — and not the other way around. We love hearing incredible applications of computer vision, from detecting cancer by looking at your eye or saving your life by making driving autonomous & more secure. But speech recognition applications? They've stayed pretty much at the gadget level, inundating us with talking alarms and smart home assistants.
Ava is the exception to the rule - the ampersand-shaped peg in a rather boringly square world. We reinvent speech recognition and speaker identification technologies so we can help 450M deaf & hard-of-hearing people live a fully accessible life. With Ava, they can understand what everyone else is saying in any group conversation, anytime.
A difficult challenge to solve? Yes, and that's what we love. What really keeps us up at night though, is the thrill to be impacting day to day people in a meaningful way. And see the smile on our users' faces when they use our product.
Don't waste more of your precious gray matter in politics-laden research teams in big companies, and come instead shine your light where the world can see the impact of what you do!
What will you do as a Machine Learning Scientist at Ava?
- You'll own one of the Ava's AI team research objectives to develop solutions for real-world applications of our core technology.
- You'll keep an eye out on the state-of-the-art research, through publications or networking with peers, and think of new contributions to improve the state of our stack
- You'll help improve the performance and reliability of our cutting-edge AI systems — such as improving the speed and responsiveness of our deep neural network.
- You'll work with the rest of the AI team to build and maintain robust internal machine-learning tools and processes with a focus on the data pipeline. Think of projects such as integrating supervised data at scale to our models, a critical project to improve the accuracy of Ava.
You'd be perfect for this role if:
- You ambition to be a pioneer in the field, and do what is necessary to make things work in real world situations.
- You have 3+ years of research experience in machine learning (esp. deep learning).
- You're of the persistent, yet open-minded and collaborative type: you can own and pursue a research agenda and autonomously carry it out, but appreciate working .
- You care about the strategic and business implications of anything you build. You're not just going after cool stuff — you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- Bonus: You have experience in speaker identification, ASR, NLP, acoustic modeling, language models or source separation.
- Bonus: You have past experience creating high-performance implementations of deep learning algorithms.
What's special about this role?
- Actually change lives at an unprecedented scale: How often do you hear about apps that make people cry of joy? It is really for us a unique opportunity and privilege to be able to meaningfully improve the lives of 100,000s of people - and yet to still be at the very beginning of our mission!
- Work with some of the best people in the world: We have an incredibly talented and passionate team that is a lot of fun to work with. We're still super small and have accomplished some things that were thought impossible!
- Tackle our most interesting and impactful problems: Our AI team is still small, and people wear many hats. You'd jump between machine-learning models, infrastructure, internal tools, process — participating in every phase from inception to implementation. Absolutely no boredom.
- Join us at an incredible time: We're well-funded and hit product-market fit, which gives us a huge green field to work with. You'd join at the perfect time to shape what we build and how we grow, so we can create a more inclusive world.
Meet your team
Ava Accessibility at a glance
Ava Accessibility focuses on Mobile, SaaS, Healthcare, Health Care Information Technology, and Artificial Intelligence. Their company has offices in San Francisco and Paris. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Ava Accessibility has raised $1.845M of funding; their latest round was closed on November 2016.