Building the self-driving technology of the future
Technical Product / Program Manager - Software
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world's most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
Aurora hires people who are excited to build the future of transportation.
- Partner deeply with software/autonomy technical leads and engineers, safety, systems engineering, operations, and general and administrative teams to ensure technical work is aligning to broader organizational development.
- Assess requirements for software systems, facilitate selection of the best options, and coordinate the team to successfully evolve tools and operational processes to achieve them.
- Manage complex projects at a large scale, spanning many functional teams and cross-functional initiatives.
- Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders, and engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress, identify gaps in communication or schedule, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities, and drive results proactively.
- Understand technical implementation at the architectural level and propose technical alternatives when necessary; ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be effective.
- Support technical and strategic planning, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning, and hiring goals).
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a software-focused Technical Program Manager, Product Manager, or Engineering Manager, or Engineer in an autonomous systems, robotics, or software development environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Information Systems or a related area, or the equivalent in experience with evidence of exceptional ability preferred.
- Direct, measurable impact through the design, development and launch of groundbreaking products.
- Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risks; ability to work closely with engineers.
- Strong experience in project management; practical familiarity with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and ability to apply them where best suited.
- Knowledge of technical architectures, computer science, and software development lifecycle.
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering the benefits of self-driving will save lives around the world, expand access to transportation, revitalize cities, and give people time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson developed MIT'S Intelligent CoPilot, then led the team that delivered Tesla Autopilot. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.
Medical, dental, and vision insurance
Valuable equity opportunity
Flexible vacation and paid holidays
Healthy catered lunches and snack
Company happy hours and team outings
Events for the family
Positive company culture and work environment
Aurora at a glance
Aurora focuses on Automotive, Transportation, and Hybrid Vehicles. Their company has offices in San Francisco, Palo Alto, and Pittsburgh. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Aurora has raised $690M of funding; their latest round was closed on June 2019.