We're the world’s largest startup community. We help startups change the world
Belltower Funds | Fund Operations Intern
About AngelList Venture & Belltower Funds:
At AngelList, we exist to help startups save the world. We’re building the definitive platform for startups — where they raise money through AngelList Venture, build teams through AngelList Talent, and launch their products through Product Hunt.
Belltower, AngelList’s fund operations team, performs critical fund administration and operational functions for the AngelList Venture product. The venture team is fundamentally altering how startups raise money by replacing early-stage venture capital with modern technology. We've delivered over $2B to more than 4,000 startups over the past few years. Our infrastructure allows investors to build on top of AngelList instead of a traditional VC. This will result in a more innovative, efficient & fair market.
We recently celebrated our ten year anniversary. Here's a look back at some of our milestones and a preview of what 's to come: https://angellist.com/blog/the-next-decade
About the role:
We are looking for a dynamic, organized, self-driven person to support our venture capital fund administration for the world’s largest portfolio of early-stage investments.
This role works with various departments within Belltower - AngelList’s fund operations team. The Belltower team is focused on building and executing the systems and software that allow AngelList to host the world's largest portfolio of early stage investments.
The fund operations intern role is for high achieving people who are willing to get their hands dirty. The role is intense and rewarding: you do a ton, learn a ton, and come away with a more understanding of various aspects of venture finance, tax, and business operations.
Our mission is to ensure every deserving start-up has access to the capital it needs. That means ensuring our team supports diverse businesses, founders, and investors as well as includes diverse employees. All applicants are welcome.
While the Belltower team is “based in Seattle”, this role is expected to be fully remote. Applicants within most US states are welcome (California residents need not apply). During the COVID 19 pandemic, 100% of our team works remotely.
The internship is for October - December 2020, with the potential for extension (up to one year).
You will support the following teams:
- Correspond with high-value stakeholders
- Analyze and validate portfolio company investment data
- Form and register funds and securities holdings
- Analyze portfolio company public data for signs of impairment
- Drive data integration and validation between internal systems to consistently track fund expenses
- Analyze and document the tax impacts of foreign inbound and outbound investing
- Review investment documents to extract and validate tax data
As you demonstrate proficiency through experience and gained context, the level of responsibility you are given will increase.
The strongest candidates will have:
- Interest in venture capital
- Desire to ensure every deserving start-up has access to the capital it needs.
- Exceptional time management and communication skills -- this internship may occur during the school year, balancing competing priorities and proactively planning is critical.
- Superb attention to detail -- you need to be able to catch the exception every time.
- Willingness to get your hands dirty -- good data usually takes hard work and determination.
- Love of process -- we handle a portfolio of investments in the thousands which can only be managed systematically.
- Progress towards a business degree
- 2+ years of undergraduate experience.
- Demonstrated excellence in academic pursuits with a 3.0+ GPA
- Great attitude with the ability to accept feedback and embrace regular change as we continually improve products and process.
Hours & Compensation
Flexible hours, targeting 10-19 hours per week. Specific working hours should be coordinated with project manager(s).
We offer comprehensive health, dental, vision, and fertility plans for employees and their dependents.
We offer between 12 and 22 weeks of paid parental leave.
Work from home / remotely whenever you need to, or want to.
Take time off when you need it and come back when you're refreshed.
Annual company offsite
In recent years, we've been to Lisbon, Tulum, New Orleans, and Colombia.
Tools and hardware
Buy whatever hardware setup you need to be effective.
AngelList at a glance
AngelList focuses on Startups, Recruiting, and Venture Capital. Their company has offices in New York City and San Francisco. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, AngelList has raised $24M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2013 at a valuation of $150M.