The burden of neurodegeneration is unprecedented. Our goal is a cure. Period
Senior Scientist, Downstream Purification
At Alector, our mission is to develop therapies that empower the immune system to cure neurodegeneration. Our team is solely focused on developing cures for some of the most challenging diseases facing our society. We are supported in this mission by experienced and accomplished scientists and board members, leading healthcare investors and some of the most innovative pharma companies.
Would you like to take part in creating new therapies that really make a difference in patients' lives? Do you desire both autonomy and collaboration in taking on scientific challenges that interest you? Would you like to be part of a hardworking team where everyone has a voice?
Use your scientific skills to help us achieve our mission of saving lives by curing neurodegenerative diseases.
As a Purification Senior Scientist for the Alector Biologics Manufacturing team, you will report to the Associate Director and work closely with other scientists in Upstream and Downstream Process Development and manage your own team of 1-2 research associates. Alector is seeking an upbeat candidate with expertise in protein purification with hands-on, in-depth experience purifying monoclonal antibodies, fusion proteins, and bi-specific molecules.
As one of the lead Downstream scientists in the group, you will lead internal PD projects where you will be responsible for: developing multi-step purification processes, liquid formulations, authoring development and tech transfer reports, planning, scheduling, and prioritizing workload to meet company goals. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work cross-functionally across multiple departments including cell culture, discovery, pre-clinical, and research. You will identify and provide support for ongoing programs and your work will be central to Alector’s strategic goals. You will be influential in championing and developing Alector’s culture.
During your first year, your goals will include:
- Expand in-house Downstream purification process capabilities and take the lead in developing robust processes for large-scale manufacturing of Drug Substance and Drug Product
- Must have management experience advising one or more employees
- Cultivate your teams' skills and career development by mentoring them in basic and sophisticated purification techniques, and lab best-practices
- Participate actively in decision-making process on cross-functional project teams by providing scientific input
- Be SME lead for technology transfer of processes for large-scale manufacture of Bulk Drug Substance
- Late Phase III process validation experience a big plus!
- Advance group capabilities and know-how by identifying and implementing novel technologies
- Author Process Descriptions, Purification Processes technical reports, Stability Reports and review draft and executed batch records and manufacturing documents
We'd love to hear from you if:
- BS or MS with 8+ years industry experience or PhD with at least 4+ years of industry experience, with industry experience, preferred (willing to consider more experience for the right candidate)
- Extensive depth and breath performing, optimizing, and scaling various purification chromatography techniques: Affinity, SEC, IEX, HIC, mixed mode (e.g. CHT, Capto MMC, Capto Adhere)
- Small and large-scale expertise developing and optimizing process parameters for Tangential Flow Filtration (TFF) and Normal Flow (NF) filtration
- Hands-on experience running analytical assays for protein characterization using the following techniques: SEC-HPLC, iCEIF, SDS-PAGE, CE-SDS, UV-Vis, LAL
- In-depth experience using AKTA purification systems and familiarity trouble-shooting, writing methods, and performing routine maintenance
- Experience with lyophilization of proteins highly desirable
- Familiar with DoE experimental design and statistical interpretation of data using software (e.g. JMP, Stat-Ease)
- Proven track record to independently run functional responsibilities
- Leading and mentoring your team
- Excellent written and oral interpersonal skills
We offer a variety of comprehensive plans covering medical, dental, vision and emotional needs.
We understand that financial stability gives our team members peace of mind. That’s why we offer flexible spending accounts, an employee stock purchase plan, company-paid life insurance, financial planning services, and company-paid short- and long-term disability insurance
Alectorians have an ownership mindset, and all are eligible for ongoing equity awards and our employee stock purchase plan. We have big plans.
Time off program
We work hard but we also all need time out of the office for ourselves. To that end, our time off program is designed to support your needs – from vacation time to leaves of absence. We provide 10 paid company holidays and 20 paid time off days per year.
We know the importance of having an active lifestyle so we offer a weekly yoga class, a free onsite gym, basketball court and outdoor running/cycling path along the Bay.
Our team has access to free commuter shuttles to and from public mass transit locations.
There are lots of team activities to get involved in such as happy hours, game nights, bake-a-thons, science challenges, sports-viewing parties, and company holiday and milestone parties. We give back by organizing volunteer and charitable giving opportunities to bring people together and foster community. If you have a new community or fun activity in mind, there are probably other Alectorians who share it. And if it doesn’t exist, you can start it!
We promote your health and wellness at work. Our headquarters is designed from the ground up with the team in mind with many collaborative break-out spaces, a quiet library for “deep work”, a mothering room, a meditation room, healthy snacks and more.
Alector at a glance
Alector focuses on Biotechnology. Their company has offices in South San Francisco. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Alector has raised $165M of funding; their latest round was closed on July 2018.