Custom data solutions to help make sense and leverage your data
Senior Manager, FP&A
Alation pioneered the data catalog market, leading the evolution of data management from simply managing data to driving data culture. Alation customers leverage the data catalog as a platform to drive data search & discovery, data governance, data stewardship, analytics, and cloud migration. With its powerful behavioral and linguistic intelligence technologies, collaboration capabilities, and open interfaces, Alation provides a platform for a broad range of metadata management applications by combining machine learning with human insight to tackle the most demanding challenges in data management. More than 180 organizations are driving their data cultures and improving their organizations’ decision-making with Alation, including AbbVie, Draft Kings, Exelon, Finnair, Genentech, GoDaddy, Marks & Spencer, MercadoLibre, Munich Re, New Balance, New Relic, Pfizer, Scandinavian Airlines, Scout24, and US Foods. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation is funded by Costanoa Ventures, Data Collective Venture Capital, Icon Ventures, Sapphire Ventures, and Salesforce Ventures. For more information, visit https://www.alation.com/
The Finance organization is seeking a Sr. Manager of FP&A Business Partner to join our team based out of Redwood City, CA. The ideal candidate will provide hands-on collaborative support for our company. This seasoned enterprise software veteran will be both a strong manager, team leader, and be responsible for all areas relating to financial planning and analysis.
- Becomes a trusted partner and advisor to functional leaders and executives from the Professional Services, Customer Success and Technical Support Teams
- Learns the business end-to-end and translate into annual and multi-year models.
- Performs FP&A responsibilities, including bottom-up data gathering from the sales and go-to-market teams and various departments, to lead strategic planning, budgeting, and forecasting activities.
- Owns and manages the financials of each department with high predictability, considering all operational aspects and their impacts on company financials
- Prepares and distributes monthly and quarterly financial reports with operating results (company-wide and departmental level) and provides quantitative and qualitative analysis of key variance and trends.
- Provides analytical support for specific strategic initiatives
- Develops and evolves key performance metrics and analysis to help optimize productivity and influence executive decision-making
- Partners with the company's accounting team for month-end and quarter-end close reporting, driving internal processes to maintain and improve predictability of financial results
- Partners with both sales and finance in creating and managing short and long term KPIs, forecasts, and business / Go To Market model
- Distills complex financial analysis to internal and external stakeholders including business partners, senior management, board of directors, prospective investors
- Supports the administration of the global sales compensation plan in our commission system, including individual plan and hierarchy set-up, adjustments, data validation, applying payments, preparing and tracking accepted individual sales compensation plan
- Identifies and leads cross-functional initiatives to improve process, systems and automation to help the business scale
- Mentors and develops other team members
- Works on special projects/duties as requested by the CFO
- Bachelor's degree in or finance, accounting, or business required (MBA or CPA a plus)
- 7-10+ years of finance experience with increasing level of responsibility, including minimum of 3 years’ experience managing/directing a financial planning and analysis (FP&A) team and 3 years’ experience in building and maintaining organization-wide budgets and forecasts for sales and go-to-market organizations.
- Mix of public, but start-up experience strongly preferred
- Has previous FP&A experience supporting and understanding the Professional Services, Customer Success and Technical Support Teams
- Proficient in the use of technology with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors
- Advanced knowledge of budget analytical software tools (e.g., Planful)
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and project management skills with ability to work effectively with multiple functional areas
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects with competing priorities and tight deadlines
- Ability to provide meaningful and insightful commentary on financial results to management, investors and other constituents on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis
- Has the ability to manage high level executives and cross collaboration amongst operations team
- Has working knowledge of Host Analytics / Planful and SaaSOptics platform experience is preferred.
- Expert level proficiency with Microsoft Excel/G Sheets and its modeling features
- Proficiency with other Microsoft Office Suite products and database programs
Alation at a glance
Alation focuses on Enterprise Software, Information Technology, Analytics, Business Intelligence, and Big Data. Their company has offices in Redwood City. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Alation has raised $82M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2019.