Custom data solutions to help make sense and leverage your data
Senior Software Engineer - Analytics
Alation continues to hire for roles at various locations with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19 crisis. Everyone new to the Alation team, along with our current workforce, will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.
Alation pioneered the data catalog market and today is leading its evolution into a platform for a broad range of data intelligence solutions including data search & discovery, data governance, and digital transformation. Nearly 200 enterprises drive data culture, improve decision making, and realize business outcomes with Alation. For more information, visit https://www.alation.com/
Job ScopeWe are seeking a talented Senior Software Engineer to join our fast-growing team. In this role, you will help define how we build and scale our analytics platform and you will help us build a work culture that fosters continuous learning and growth.
What you'll do:
- Design and solidify data warehouse for capturing and storing analytics data
- Build and maintain analytics infrastructure to route customer data into warehouse
- Build and maintain a secure, scalable, high-performance, and fault-tolerant distributed systems
- Build and launch new data models that provide intuitive analytics to data customers
- Tackle latency and throughput challenges in data processing and request serving
- Implement tools that help our data customers to extract, analyze, and visualize data faster
- Evaluate new technologies and build prototypes for continuous improvements in data infrastructure and engineering
- 4+ years of hands-on experience with developing Data Warehouse Solutions using relational databases like Oracle/Postgres/MySQL/SQL Server, etc
- Experience with modern programming languages like Python, Java
- Experience designing star schema and data modeling
- Experience designing and implementing SQL queries and ETL data pipelines
- Experience working with AWS technologies like EC2, EBS, S3, etc.
- Experience designing integrations across the data landscape (databases, etl systems, reporting, etc.)
- Experience with test-driven development and automated testing frameworks.
- Flexible to react to changing priorities and able to prioritize and deliver in a deadline driven environment
- BE or MS in Computer Science or related field
You’ll be a great fit if…
- You live and breathe data… You come from a data-oriented landscape / ecosystem such as (Databases, ETL Systems, Reporting / Visualization tools, Data analytics tools, Metastores (other catalogs) )
- You're passionate about making the world a more curious and intelligent place
- You're humble and thoughtful, but a vocal advocate for our users and customers, able to fight for the course of action that the data and our values show is right
- You're driven to learn new things and grow
- You have a deeply analytical mindset, yet you're able to combine quantitative analysis and logic with a human touch
- Knowledge of data management, analytics, BI space (or able to learn about it deeply and quickly)
- Knowledge/Experience with containerization in Docker containers
Alation at a glance
Alation focuses on Enterprise Software, Information Technology, Analytics, Business Intelligence, and Big Data. Their company has offices in Redwood City. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Alation has raised $82M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2019.