Custom data solutions to help make sense and leverage your data
Product Manager (Technical)
Alation continues to hire for roles at various locations with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19 crisis. Everyone new to the Alation team, along with our current workforce, will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.
Alation pioneered the data catalog market, leading the evolution of data management from simply managing data to driving data culture. Alation customers leverage the data catalog as a platform to drive data search & discovery, data governance, data stewardship, analytics, and cloud migration. With its powerful behavioral and linguistic intelligence technologies, collaboration capabilities, and open interfaces, Alation provides a platform for a broad range of metadata management applications by combining machine learning with human insight to tackle the most demanding challenges in data management. More than 180 organizations are driving their data cultures and improving their organizations’ decision-making with Alation, including AbbVie, Draft Kings, Exelon, Finnair, Genentech, GoDaddy, Marks & Spencer, MercadoLibre, Munich Re, New Balance, New Relic, Pfizer, Scandinavian Airlines, Scout24, and US Foods. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation is funded by Costanoa Ventures, Data Collective Venture Capital, Icon Ventures, Sapphire Ventures, and Salesforce Ventures. For more information, visit https://www.alation.com/
We’re looking for world class Product Leaders who share our vision for a more curious and rational world and can evangelize our vision internally and externally. As a PM at Alation you will be working to unlock the value of the data: help people to find, understand and trust data that they already have.
Alation’s data catalog gathers data and metadata from data sources (such as relational databases) across a large enterprise, so that users can browse, search and query it. As such, Alation implements word-class capabilities to monitor, measure, secure and scale this data environment to the requirements of global enterprise customers. In this role, you will assemble the roadmap of capabilities to address the needs of our most important customers - and partner with your engineering team to deliver.
Responsibilities: you will…
- Build relationships, synthesize input, and communicate roadmaps across many stakeholders including customers, professional services, sales, customer success, engineering, and design
- Perform market analysis in order to define strategic priorities for your product areas
- Be data driven, creating and monitoring product and customer value metrics to make objective prioritization decisions
- Build and maintain an effective and groomed backlog providing clear requirements for new initiatives and enhancements
- Take on additional projects beyond your core product, enhancing the Alation product portfolio and helping to build a high performance product team
Requirements: to do so, you’ll leverage…
- 4+ years of hands-on product management experience - in a fast-paced agile development environment
- Self-starter with strong creative problem solving, facilitation and interpersonal skills
- Have delivered user experiences that are empowering, delightful and well-designed
- Domain experience in scalable enterprise software architectures, including monitoring, security, database systems, and/or containerization.
- Skilled in discussing technical details with engineers & product design while also clearly communicating with leadership, sales marketing, and customers
You’ll be a great fit if…
- You're passionate about making the world a more curious and rationale place, by creating products that help people explore data, ask questions and get reliable answers
- You're humble and thoughtful, but a vocal advocate for our users and customers able to fight for the course of action that the data and our values show is right
- Knowledge of kubernetes
- Experience developing customer-facing reports and visualizations
- Experience writing SQL queries and understanding schemas.
- Knowledge of compliance regulations including PCI DSS, HIPAA, GDPR
Here are some examples of product areas and projects you may be covering:
- Monitoring and logging - How do we make logs and events available centrally to our customer’s IT team even as we move to a distributed, containerized architecture? Which kinds of events should we monitor?
- How do we improve our managed high availability (HA) solution for our software stack and database? Do containers and kubernetes make this easier?
- Customer Portal - How should we do license key management. Build or buy?
- Backup/Restore - Should we improve our current solution or bundle a commercial solution?
- Security - Authentication - can we use Oauth2 to eliminate the need to store passwords? Is it becoming a widely accepted standard in the market?
- What product usage visualizations should be build for our customers?
Alation at a glance
Alation focuses on Enterprise Software, Information Technology, Analytics, Business Intelligence, and Big Data. Their company has offices in Redwood City. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Alation has raised $9M of funding; their latest round was closed on March 2015.