Custom data solutions to help make sense and leverage your data
Technical Support Engineer
Alation continues to hire for roles at various locations with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19 crisis. Everyone new to the Alation team, along with our current workforce, will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.
Alation pioneered the data catalog market, leading the evolution of data management from simply managing data to driving data culture. Alation customers leverage the data catalog as a platform to drive data search & discovery, data governance, data stewardship, analytics, and cloud migration. With its powerful behavioral and linguistic intelligence technologies, collaboration capabilities, and open interfaces, Alation provides a platform for a broad range of metadata management applications by combining machine learning with human insight to tackle the most demanding challenges in data management. More than 180 organizations are driving their data cultures and improving their organizations’ decision-making with Alation, including AbbVie, Draft Kings, Exelon, Finnair, Genentech, GoDaddy, Marks & Spencer, MercadoLibre, Munich Re, New Balance, New Relic, Pfizer, Scandinavian Airlines, Scout24, and US Foods. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation is funded by Costanoa Ventures, Data Collective Venture Capital, Icon Ventures, Sapphire Ventures, and Salesforce Ventures. For more information, visit https://www.alation.com/
As our Technical Support Engineer, you will be helping customers integrate with the Alation product, providing advanced level support on technical issues with the product, and for improving the Alation knowledge base. You will work closely with product managers, engineers, and customers to improve the quality of the product. You will both solve technical problems and develop collaborative relationships with our customers, who are some of the most advanced analytics teams in the world.
- Provides First/second/third level technical support for customers, partners, account teams, and other Technical Support Engineers.
- Applies analytical skills and technical knowledge to solve product problems of moderate to high complexity.
- Provides technology/product training, documentation and intellectual property material as required.
- Acts as focal point for large account product problem resolution.
- Support customer success with specialized product knowledge.
- Effectively utilizes moderate to complex lab setups to recreate and solve problems.
- Submits complete and correct bug reports in area of expertise. Advocate for customers in engineering roadmap planning.
- Interacts across support teams and development teams at peer level.
- Acts as a technical expert and provides support on a world-wide basis.
- Minimum between 3-8 years of experience in the following:
- Understanding of application components and functionality; i.e. relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server), NoSQL databases (MongoDB, Redis etc.), web Servers (Apache, Nginx, etc.).
- Proficient with Linux & SQL
- Understanding of Big data, Hadoop Ecosystem, MapR, Hive & Kerberos a big plus
- Experience in troubleshooting. Red Hat, Centos, and Ubuntu operating systems a plus.
- Knowledge of SAML, LDAP, BI and reporting tools, Tableau, AWS a big plus
- Experience working with web APIs.
- Experience with python, Java a nice to have.
- Comfort with working in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to work on problems of moderate to wide scope and moderate to high complexity where analysis of situations or data requires a review of identifiable factors.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- Promotes and solicits ideas within project team(s).
- Ability to handle critical customer issues/problems.
- Able to determine problems and deliver known solutions with a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Ability to determine root cause and resolution for previously unknown problems.
Alation at a glance
Alation focuses on Enterprise Software, Information Technology, Analytics, Business Intelligence, and Big Data. Their company has offices in Redwood City. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Alation has raised $9M of funding; their latest round was closed on March 2015.