Airspace Management Platform for Drones
Site Reliability Engineer/Devops
AirMap is the world’s leading airspace services platform for unmanned aircraft. Developed by experts in technology, aviation, and policy, AirMap’s family of APIs and SDKs are used by nearly 80% of the world’s drones to exchange dynamic information, creating a safe and efficient environment in low-altitude airspace.
You will work closely with a small, nimble, globally distributed cross-functional team of platform architects and software engineers passionate about the challenges of contextual airspace and delivering the future of unmanned flight.
Who are we looking for
We are looking for Site Reliability Engineers who have a passion for developing reliable, distributed software systems supporting spare-time and professional drone operators in executing their missions safely and in conformance with regulations. Quality is at the forefront of everything our team does, and we are looking for true passion for writing robust, reliable and well-tested code.
Please note that an employee in this position will be hired specifically to work on federal government projects that require the employee to be a U.S. citizen. Any offer of employment will be contingent on the individual satisfying the requisite requirements to be able to work on these federal government projects.
You are the right person for AirMap if you are willing to:
- Drive to get results and not let anything get in your way.
- Be proactive and anticipate/handle issues before they blow up.
- Exhibit a strong backbone and challenge the status quo when needed.
- Demonstrate a high level of curiosity and keep abreast of the latest technologies.
- Show pride of ownership and strive for excellence in everything you do.
- Go the extra mile to delight customers and colleagues alike.
As a member of our team, you will work with Engineers, Product Owners and Technical Leads building new experiences and improving existing products, developing robust software solutions and dependable products for AirMap’s users and customers. You’ll help in estimating engineering efforts, prioritize projects, plan implementations, and triage production issues. You need to be dynamic, collaborative and curious, as you’ll work in a fast-paced environment where continuous experimentation and innovation are a given.
Your responsibilities will also include:
- Operation of existing infrastructure and services.
- Assisting in design, development, and testing of features delivered as applications and/or services, with a strong focus on ensuring/improving reliability and robustness.
- Triage and troubleshoot escalations for a wide variety of AirMap products.
- Monitor, detect and troubleshoot issues during code rollouts on the live site. Analyze real-time data to determine issue severity and impact and advise Product Development and Release Management.
- Advise management and appropriate groups on customer impacting issues and provide recognized technical and business leadership while recommending appropriate actions.
- Identify process gaps and implement process improvements to increase operational efficiency.
- Participate in the development of tools, systems and processes aimed at improving product supportability and overall support productivity.
- Work with different groups to develop and improve monitors for AirMap products and infrastructure.
- When needed provide direct support to AirMap users and customers.
- Identify, verify and document irregularities in AirMap functionality, including posting appropriate bugs and potentially solving them with pull requests.
- Collaborating with peers and leads both within the team and across the organization.
- Working with operations teams to ensure applications and services are highly available and reliable.
- Supporting applications and/or services as and when required on a 24x7 basis.
- Kubernetes, Docker, Cloud (either Azure or AWS is fine)
- Experience working in a micro-services environment
- Postgres and Redis
- On call rotation
- BS Computer Science or related technical discipline (or equivalent experience).
- Competent in design/implementation for reliability, availability, scalability and performance.
- Competent in software engineering tools and best practices (e.g. unit testing, test automation, continuous integration, etc.).
- Competent in state-of-the-art orchestration and containerization infrastructure k8s & docker).
- Experience with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis and software design.
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of networking principles and OS operation and maintenance.
- Expertise using Linux command line.
- Familiarity with load balancing principles.
- Development skills in at least one scripting language.
- Strong problem-solving skills/troubleshooting.
- Nice to Have: Golang, Python, debugging
- Extra credit: Provide your GitHub account or code samples with your resume!
AirMap at a glance
AirMap focuses on Aerospace, Unmanned Air Systems, Drones, and Urban Mobility. Their company has offices in Santa Monica and Berlin. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, AirMap has raised $43.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on February 2017.