Bringing financial services to the unbanked
Principal Software Architect
Airfox is looking for a talented Lead Backend Engineer / Architect for our Boston office to be a key member of a close-knit agile team that builds the backend platform for our fintech mobile application. You will help define the overall architecture and development of new products and enhancements. You will work with the CTO and software development teams to make decisions about the tech stack, best practices, and design patterns to follow. We want all our engineers to be hands-on engineers so you’ll also spend a good amount of time coding.
Airfox is on a mission to accelerate financial inclusion in emerging markets, beginning with Brazil - the 5th largest country in the world, with a population of over 200 million individuals. Airfox has developed an innovative, digital solution to seamlessly provide digital banking, payments, and credit solutions to the tens of millions of underbanked Brazilian consumers nationwide, which aims to alleviate the variety of burdens and high costs related to the deeply entrenched banking industry. Our mission is to empower millions of families to take control of their life with the use of simple, low-cost financial services through their smartphone. Additionally, we are developing financial services aimed at merchants to enable them to invest and grow their businesses. We recently announced a partnership with one of the largest retailers in Brazil, Via Varejo (BVMF: VVAR3), which is a multi-billion dollar, publicly-traded company, in order to develop and launch financial service products for their customer base of over 40 million individuals. It’s a particularly exciting time, filled with the intensive challenges related to undergoing our hyper-growth phase, and we’re looking for top-tier talent to help us execute on our mission! We greatly welcome you to apply to join the Airfox team and look forward to receiving your application.
- Drive and uphold high engineering standards, staying well-versed in best practices for engineering designs.
- Zoom in and out frequently, spending your time and energy at the highest points of leverage, whether they are architectural scaling challenges or detailed out-of-sequence event handling decisions.
- Facilitate build vs buy decisions
- Juggle multiple projects and enjoy experimenting with new technologies.
- Work with teams to ensure non-functional requirements are considered during all phases of SDLC
- Experience developing event-based, CRQS-based distributed systems
- Design, develop, peer review and test a wide range of features and systems composed of SQL data models, REST APIs, and cryptographic methods
- Be a hands-on coder that knows how to bring a story over the finish line
- Help program and project management in identifying key technical risks and mitigation plans, effort estimation and planning
- Help mentor new software engineers in best-practices and strategies
- 6+ years of experience in back end development
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field or applicable work experience
- Experience with a wide range of AWS products and container technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
- Excellent communication skills; feels comfortable working with non-technical business partners
- Experience in NodeJS (preferably in Typescript) and SQL or NoSQL databases
- Background in Banking preferred
- Competitive salary
- Health and dental coverage
- 401(k) program with matching
- Commuter pre-tax benefits
- Gym membership reimbursements
- Flexible work schedule and ability to occasionally work from home
- Convenient office location (short walk from South Station)
- Plenty of office perks (game lounge, parking, bike storage, showers, coffee)
- Casual work attire