Transforming the UK's £1.4 trillion mortgage market from the ground up
Test Engineer / Software Engineer in Test£40k – £50k • 0.05% – 0.07%
Acre is rebuilding the UK’s £1.4 trillion mortgage market from the ground up, with a completely new, end-to-end management system for mortgages.
Our platform cuts out the unnecessary admin, pain and friction from buying a home. We're covering the entire journey, from figuring out what you can borrow, to getting your keys. We're guided both by the voice of real home buyers and by our close relationships with brokers, lenders and insurers, through our exclusive broker distribution agreement representing over £40 billion in mortgage lending each year. We won’t stop until the process of buying, mortgaging, conveyancing, and insuring your home is affordable and completely seamless.
Join our engineering team to help change the way people buy homes.
Unlike other testing roles, at Acre we believe in automating testing, and writing tools to help developers help themselves write quality code. You’ll use your knowledge of testing and quality best practice to help us build better software faster.
As a Software Engineer in Test , you are an integral part of our agile product development team. Your focus will be on developing code, test cases, and infrastructure to help us test and deploy quality software, rather than on fixing or finding bugs. You’ll use your experience to help us improve our engineering practice, increase testability and code coverage, and help create a culture of preventing rather than just fixing bugs. As we move into entirely new product lines, you’ll have an outsize impact not only on our customer experience, but also in carrying these techniques forward throughout our growing team.
As our Software Engineer in Test, you will be responsible for:
- Taking ownership of developing our test automation systems, and acting as a subject matter expert in the team for tests and test infrastructure.
- Write reusable and extensible tests which can evolve with the product.
- Use your knowledge to help the product development team build processes and feature specifications that will ensure our end users experience a high-quality, usable, secure, and reliable product.
- Communicate the what, how, and why of our strategy for ensuring quality to your team and external development partners.
- Design and build prototypes and experiments that can validate and improve our system architecture, and eliminate gaps in our test approach.
- Work with your team to continually improve the development process, with a view to end-to-end quality.
- Coach, lead, and grow a quality mindset in the whole team.
- Quantify everything.
- Trust but verify.
- Help develop the people in our team, and their understanding of testing and test-driven development.
- Come with solutions, not problems.
As our Software Engineer in Test, you will possess the following skills, experience and qualifications:
- Real-world knowledge and experience with software quality and testing.
- Passion for shipping products customers love.
- Team before I.
- Would know how to analyze HTTP exchanges.
- Embrace uncertainty and constantly challenge yourself and your team to improve.
- Have an eye for how break things, and a healthy skepticism that sniffs out what might go wrong.
- Know how security, performance, usability, and scaling all contribute to quality.
- Have written production code previously.
- Believe in explicit communication.
Vibrant Central London office, alongside other growing start-ups, with weekly lunches, as much tea, coffee, biscuits, and fruit as you can handle, and Paul's Irish Bar. See our careers page for more of what we offer.
Our interview process consists of an initial phone conversation, followed by a task and an on-site interview, where you'll have a chance to get to know the team you'll be working with and the senior management team.