Accelerating the mastery of biology to advance human health
Research Associate - Synthetic Chemistry
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It’s a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they didn’t even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries described in over 1000 peer-reviewed publications across multiple application areas, including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented individuals driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists, engineers, clinicians, computational biologists, and more to make new strides. We’re dedicated to finding the best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
About the role:
10x Genomics is seeking an outstanding Research Associate to join the Synthesis and Fundamental Chemistry (SFC) team to work on the synthesis, qualification, and formulation of key 10x reagents. This is a unique cross-disciplinary position that will be managed within the R&D organization but will be primarily focused on the manufacturing of reagents for the continued support and rapid expansion of 10x product lines. Chemical synthesis is the basis of the role; however, successful candidates will also require the ability to independently operate proprietary microfluidic devices and custom manufacturing equipment for the downstream interrogation and functional QC of resultant materials. The ideal candidate must have a broad and extensive working knowledge of synthetic chemistry fundamentals, experience with a range of chemical transformations, purifications, and characterization techniques.
You should have a basic understanding of industry-based manufacturing practices with demonstrated experience working within an ERP system following work orders, batch records, and SOPs. You must be a self-starter, quick learner, detail oriented, work well in a team atmosphere, have good communication skills, and able to adapt and thrive in a fast-paced working environment.
What you will be doing:
- Synthesis, characterization, and functional QC of existing and forthcoming custom 10x reagents
- Efficient execution of work orders driven by the 10x ERP system according to defined methods/procedures to ensure the integrity and quality of products in a timely manner
- Disposition of materials based on analytical QC and functional testing data
- Accurate tracking of production data, test data, and inventory
- Maintenance of production batch records, SOPs, and adherence to GMPs under ISO requirements
- Initiate Non-Conforming Material and/or Deviation reports, with follow-up progress reports and corrective action items as required
- Operation and maintenance of laboratory equipment within the standards required for the manufacture of Life Science products
- Follow good laboratory practices, including maintenance of accurate laboratory notebooks
To be successful in this role, you must have:
- Master’s degree in Synthetic Chemistry or related discipline with 3+ years of relevant experience (detailed below)
- 1+ years of relevant laboratory experience in manufacturing or QC of Life Science products
- An extensive knowledge of synthetic transformations, purification, and characterization techniques
- Experience with moisture, temperature, and oxygen sensitive reagents and reactions
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Experience with the independent operation of a broad range of analytical and physical characterization techniques including; NMR, UV-Vis, HPLC, DLS, flow cytometry and/or (bio)imaging
- Experienced in experimental design, control, execution, and accurate reporting to achieve reliable and reproducible results
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, with a compelling technology, and taking products and processes to the next level
Additionally, we’d like to see:
- Relevant experience in a production environment working with standard production control tools – ERP, LIMS, inventory control, work orders
- Experience with large scale (>1000 g) syntheses
- Experience with surfactant stabilized emulsion-based systems/assays
- Experience with microscopy, high-speed imaging, and/or quantitative fluorescence imaging
- Understanding and experience with next-generation sequencing workflows and/or data analysis
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We offer a competitive and comprehensive health benefits package.
We support our employees with family friendly policies like parental leave, and other benefits.
Equity in 10x
10x wants every employee to have an ownership stake and equity is a part of our package.
We recognize hard work and believe in well-deserved time off.
Refresh yourself with healthy snacks provided daily and a walking/exercise trail in a beautiful setting out our back door.
A learning environment
Professional development is a high priority at 10x. We value continuous learning.
Collaborate with highly skilled colleagues in a stimulating cross disciplinary environment.
Work hard, play hard
Life isn't all about work and we celebrate that.
10x Genomics at a glance
10x Genomics focuses on Biotechnology, Healthcare, Medical, and Genetic Testing. Their company has offices in California. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, 10x Genomics has raised $222.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2019 at a valuation of $4B.