Accelerating the mastery of biology to advance human health
Senior / Research Associate - Molecular Biology & Spatial Transcriptomics
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It’s a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they didn’t even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries described in over 1000 peer-reviewed publications across multiple application areas, including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented individuals driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists, engineers, clinicians, computational biologists, and more to make new strides. We’re dedicated to finding the best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
About the role:
We are looking for an outstanding individual to join the Molecular Biology team as a Research Associate/Senior Research Associate. The ideal candidate will have experience in the development of novel molecular biology assays for solving complex biological problems, preferably in the field of spatial transcriptomics. They will work closely with scientists in the assay development team to evaluate and optimize new and innovative assays for next-generation sequencing library generation. The candidate should have both an educational background and 4+ years of academic or industrial experience in one or more of the following disciplines: Molecular biology, biochemistry, spatial transcriptomics, microscopy or related fields. The candidate will apply her/his skills and knowledge to optimize and evaluate new assays in the area of spatial transcriptomics. They should be driven by making great products and enjoy working in a fast-paced, innovative and multi-disciplinary environment.
What you will be doing:
- Support the development and optimization of novel molecular biology assay schemes for applications including molecular barcoding, nucleic acid amplification, and library preparation strategies for single cell genomic and spatial transcriptomic assays
- Perform experiments and analyze data
- Write protocols, develop procedures, and maintain accurate records
- Communicate and present results clearly and contribute data for making critical design decisions
- Assist in training other research associates, technicians, and scientists as required
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- BS/MS in molecular biology, biochemistry, or a related field
- 4+ years of hands-on molecular biology experience in an academic or industrial setting
- Proficient in standard molecular biology techniques such as sample preparation, nucleic acid amplification, qPCR, DNA sequencing, or similar
- Experience with next generation sequencing library preparation workflows
- Experience with imaging and image processing
- Experience with experimental design and data analysis
- Meticulous attention to detail and strong record keeping skills
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, which requires real-time communication, flexibility, and a willingness to learn new techniques and methods
Additionally, we’d like to see:
- Familiarity with spatial transcriptomics
- Experience with provisioning or processing animal models and human clinical samples (tissue, blood, biopsies, fresh frozen, FFPE)
- Familiarity with tissue sectioning: cryostat, microtome, or similar
- Experience with immunostaining (IHC), in situ hybridization (ISH), or histology
- Experience with bioinformatics or programming languages
- Experience with Design of Experiments (DOE)
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We offer a competitive and comprehensive health benefits package.
We support our employees with family friendly policies like parental leave, and other benefits.
Equity in 10x
10x wants every employee to have an ownership stake and equity is a part of our package.
We recognize hard work and believe in well-deserved time off.
Refresh yourself with healthy snacks provided daily and a walking/exercise trail in a beautiful setting out our back door.
A learning environment
Professional development is a high priority at 10x. We value continuous learning.
Collaborate with highly skilled colleagues in a stimulating cross disciplinary environment.
Work hard, play hard
Life isn't all about work and we celebrate that.
10x Genomics at a glance
10x Genomics focuses on Biotechnology, Healthcare, Medical, and Genetic Testing. Their company has offices in California. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, 10x Genomics has raised $222.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2019 at a valuation of $4B.