Accelerating the mastery of biology to advance human health
Director - Product Integration
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It’s a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they didn’t even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries described in over 1000 peer-reviewed publications across multiple application areas, including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented individuals driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists, engineers, clinicians, computational biologists, and more to make new strides. We’re dedicated to finding the best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future.
Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
About the Role:
We are looking for an exceptional Scientist and Manager to lead the research and development of our Product Integration team at the 10x Headquarters in Pleasanton, California. The ideal candidate will have a proven track-record of leading teams of scientists that have successfully developed robust products using molecular biology-based technologies and instrumentation for solving complex biological problems. The candidate must combine impressive technical leadership, excellence in people management, a strong drive for making great products and deep familiarity with next-generation sequencing applications. This position will interact closely with senior leadership at our Pleasanton HQ, as well as our global R&D, product management, marketing and technical support staff.
What you will be doing:
- Manage and mentor scientists and engineers matrixed into multiple multi-disciplinary product development and research teams.
- Oversee system wide integration of modules delivered by chemistry, biology, engineering departments for the development of new NGS assays and/or instrumentation.
- Oversee the mid to late stage optimization and thorough testing of new assay schemes, workflows, reagents and novel instrumentation with a focus on system robustness and a superb customer experience.
- Oversee the design and execution of Verification & Validation plans across 10x Genomics’ product portfolio and road-map then provide sound data based recommendations to senior management with respect to product readiness.
- Oversee recruitment, on-boarding and continual training of world-class scientists and engineers to grow the Product Integration team.
- Contribute to establishment and maintenance of strong lines of communication, knowledge-sharing and collaboration between R&D departments.
- Contribute to planning and monitoring of site- and project-specific budgets and staffing plans.
- Establish and maintain the necessary team structures, processes, infrastructure and environment to drive development of industry-leading assays for the 10x Genomics technology platforms
- Contribute expertise to company-wide strategic planning and development of product road-maps.
- Collaborate with internal functional teams including molecular biology, computational biology, microfluidics, engineering and chemistry to establish company-wide best practices for experimental design and execution, documentation, laboratory information management, resource utilization and environmental health and safety.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- PhD or proven, significant depth of experience in biotechnology, genomics, molecular biology or a similar field.
- A minimum of 10 years post-graduate experience in the life sciences industry, including a minimum of 5 years in a technical leadership position with direct reports.
- Proven ability to plan and execute highly technical development projects, as evidenced by published patents, peer-reviewed articles or launched products.
- Proven ability to manage functional or project-based teams of 10 or more scientists in a matrix environment.
- Experience with molecular biology assays/protocols utilizing next-generation sequencing.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including written and oral communication.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment.
- A strong desire to build game-changing technologies and impact the world of life science research.
Additionally, we’d like to see:
- Product use expertise from the perspective of the customer (preferably for next gen sequencing workflows.
- Experience creating test plans (Verification and Validation) to satisfy DIRs with designated levels of confidence
- Experience leading and executing of V&V testing including external validation(s)/Beta testing
- Experience in single-cell genomics, functional genomics or immunology.
- Experience in formal design of experiment (DOE) methodologies.
- Formal coursework or training in people management.
About 10x Genomics
10x Genomics (NASDAQ: TXG) is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry, and bioinformatics, our technology is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the mechanisms behind cancer, the immune system, and the fundamentals of biology at the single-cell level. 10x is one of the fastest-growing biotech companies of the decade, growing from $3M in revenue in 2015 to over $200M in 2019, and has backed over 1,000 scientific publications in the past five years. For more information, visit www.10xgenomics.com.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We offer a competitive and comprehensive health benefits package.
We support our employees with family friendly policies like parental leave, and other benefits.
Equity in 10x
10x wants every employee to have an ownership stake and equity is a part of our package.
We recognize hard work and believe in well-deserved time off.
Refresh yourself with healthy snacks provided daily and a walking/exercise trail in a beautiful setting out our back door.
A learning environment
Professional development is a high priority at 10x. We value continuous learning.
Collaborate with highly skilled colleagues in a stimulating cross disciplinary environment.
Work hard, play hard
Life isn't all about work and we celebrate that.
10x Genomics at a glance
10x Genomics focuses on Biotechnology, Healthcare, Medical, and Genetic Testing. Their company has offices in California. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, 10x Genomics has raised $222.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2019 at a valuation of $4B.