Accelerating the mastery of biology to advance human health
Senior Software Technical Writer
Senior Software Technical Writer
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It’s a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they didn’t even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries described in over 1000 peer-reviewed publications across multiple application areas, including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. The innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
About the role:
We are looking for a highly technical, intelligent, and effective software technical writer to join our Technical Communications group. This is a small and effective group specializing in creating high quality, technically accurate customer-facing content, ensuring a seamless and intuitive user experience for 10x Genomics’ customers. The role involves working in close collaboration with computational biologists, software engineers, and software support scientists, who develop and support our innovative products. Our products enable researchers to study biology at unprecedented resolution and scale; yielding insights in diverse fields such as cancer biology, immunology, neuroscience, and developmental biology.
As a Senior Software Technical Writer, you will have excellent writing, editorial, and verbal communication skills, you will be highly organized with meticulous attention to detail, and will have a keen interest in learning about new technologies. You will run the pipeline software for our products to develop an in-depth understanding of our products and the end-user perspective and based on that will optimize the software experience for a user through audio, visual, and written content. You will be a self-starter who thinks strategically when planning and developing content for multiple product portfolios. Flexibility in adapting new tools and approaches will be required for managing writing priorities and to provide immediate contribution.
What you will be doing:
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams, including Software, Computational Biology, Support, and Marketing to understand product portfolios and lead customer guidance content generation in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Proactively plan, develop, and deliver consistent, high-quality technical documentation, release notes, tutorials, and troubleshooting guides in written and/or video format
- Use feedback provided by multiple stakeholders to generate, revise, and sustain customer-facing content
- Actively work towards defining better processes and infrastructure for efficient content generation
- Contribute to planning, selecting, and implementing tools and infrastructure for delivering technical documentation resources
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Engineering, Biology, Technical Communications, or related discipline
- Minimum of three years experience in software technical writing or related field
- Fast learner with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Highly proficient in English with excellent grammatical and editorial skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience using CLI software and documenting its usage, and/or documenting feature-rich GUI-based software and generating necessary customer-facing content
- Experience with Git, Markdown, Node.js, headless CMS, and/or Jekyll and Hugo
- Passion for learning about innovations in science and technology is essential
- Ability to proactively initiate and define requirements often from not clearly defined and/or conflicting materials. Lead content development, including creating new content frameworks, and ensuring successful and timely completion of projects.
- Strong organizational skills and excellent time and project management skills needed to work in a fast-paced environment
Desired Skills and Background
- A background in life sciences, bioinformatics, or Next Generation Sequencing with hands-on experience in running bioinformatics pipelines and genomics data analysis is highly desirable
- Experience in creating documentation for programming tool kits used by software developers
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We offer a competitive and comprehensive health benefits package.
We support our employees with family friendly policies like parental leave, and other benefits.
Equity in 10x
10x wants every employee to have an ownership stake and equity is a part of our package.
We recognize hard work and believe in well-deserved time off.
Refresh yourself with healthy snacks provided daily and a walking/exercise trail in a beautiful setting out our back door.
A learning environment
Professional development is a high priority at 10x. We value continuous learning.
Collaborate with highly skilled colleagues in a stimulating cross disciplinary environment.
Work hard, play hard
Life isn't all about work and we celebrate that.
10x Genomics at a glance
10x Genomics focuses on Biotechnology, Healthcare, Medical, and Genetic Testing. Their company has offices in California. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, 10x Genomics has raised $222.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2019 at a valuation of $4B.