Accelerating the mastery of biology to advance human health
VP of Intellectual Property
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It’s a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they didn’t even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries across multiple application areas, including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented individuals driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists, engineers, clinicians, computational biologists, and more to make new strides. We’re dedicated to finding the best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
VP of Intellectual Property
About the Role
We are seeking an entrepreneurial, motivated and experienced head of intellectual property (IP) counsel to play a primary role with the company’s strategic IP efforts worldwide. Reporting to the General Counsel, this senior attorney will support 10x Genomics’ business in connection with IP portfolio objectives and management, with lead responsibility for patent and trademark prosecution and maintenance. This position will manage the in-house IP team and outside counsel.
What you will be doing:
- Strategically overseeing and managing 10xs in-house IP team and outside counsel in drafting, prosecution and maintenance of 10x’s patents and trademarks.
- Able to provide hands-on direction and input, and to draft/review a wide variety of work product.
- Able to recommend and implement changes as needed over time to IP-related infrastructure and staffing to maintain good alignment between 10x’s needs, priorities and resources and the structure of 10x’s internal and external IP staffing and resources
- Identifying and navigating patent and trademark opportunities and risks worldwide for 10x Genomics’ business, programs and operations
- Driving IP due diligence, technology assessments and FTO analyses in potential strategic transactions (including M&A, licensing and financing), as well as supervising outside counsel in the same
- Counseling key stakeholders in protecting and defending IP rights worldwide, including the General Counsel, other senior management and the board of directors, with particular attention to management of the IP portfolio for 10x’s lead asset as well as early stage research programs
- Providing broad-based strategic and portfolio advice, with demonstrated leadership skills and a vision of success tied to larger organizational goals
- Proactively counseling all levels of the organization on IP matters, ranging from broad strategic objectives to day-to-day collaboration with and input to 10x’s research and development groups and teams
- Collaborating with in-house and outside counsel on IP-related proceedings, challenges, disputes and litigation
- Managing the in-house IP team, outside counsel, and IP related budgets, forecasting and resources. Able to coach, mentor and develop team members, and proactive in sharing knowledge and collaborating with teams and stakeholders
- Conducting and enhancing 10x’s IP-related processes and protections, including portfolio reviews and long-range planning, patent review committee, invention disclosures, pre-publication review, and drafting/review of IP-related contract provisions
To be successful, you will need:
- JD degree and member of patent bar
- Advanced degree in life science (biology, microbiology, chemistry, genetics and the like)
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in life sciences, biotechnology or closely related patent areas, including some in-house experience
- Skilled at integrating legal advice with business acumen and sound judgment
- Able to serve as a strong business partner, collaborator and project manager
- Skilled at advising senior management
- Experience and passion leading a team
- Excellent writing, communication, organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to strategically educate and support fellow employees
- Self-directed and proactive, comfortable executing on multiple projects independently and in collaboration with others
- Skilled at managing outside counsel
- All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
About 10x Genomics
10x Genomics (NASDAQ: TXG) is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry, and bioinformatics, our technology is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the mechanisms behind cancer, the immune system, and the fundamentals of biology at the single-cell level. 10x is one of the fastest-growing biotech companies of the decade, growing from $3M in revenue in 2015 to over $200M in 2019, and has backed over 500 scientific publications in the past four years. For more information, visit www.10xgenomics.com.
10x Genomics is headquartered in Pleasanton, with an office by Embarcadero BART in San Francisco.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We offer a competitive and comprehensive health benefits package.
We support our employees with family friendly policies like parental leave, and other benefits.
Equity in 10x
10x wants every employee to have an ownership stake and equity is a part of our package.
We recognize hard work and believe in well-deserved time off.
Refresh yourself with healthy snacks provided daily and a walking/exercise trail in a beautiful setting out our back door.
A learning environment
Professional development is a high priority at 10x. We value continuous learning.
Collaborate with highly skilled colleagues in a stimulating cross disciplinary environment.
Work hard, play hard
Life isn't all about work and we celebrate that.
10x Genomics at a glance
10x Genomics focuses on Biotechnology, Healthcare, Medical, and Genetic Testing. Their company has offices in California. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, 10x Genomics has raised $222.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2019 at a valuation of $4B.