Accelerating the mastery of biology to advance human health
Senior Scientist-Product Development
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It’s a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they didn’t even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries described in over 1000 peer-reviewed publications across multiple application areas, including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. The innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
About the role:
We are seeking an outstanding Senior Scientist to join the Product Development team to lead the development and technology transfer efforts for the next generation of 10x products. The Product Development team acts as the interface between early stage R&D and production and this position would be deeply embedded in both organizations. This is a cross-disciplinary position that will work closely with groups including Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Computational Biology, QC, Manufacturing, and Marketing to develop and validate reagents, consumables, and kits for the rapid expansion of 10X’s product portfolio.
Candidates must have a broad working knowledge of molecular biology and be able to apply that knowledge independently and creatively toward the development of novel NGS and in situ workflows. Previous experience with product devolvement as demonstrated by significant contributions toward launched products is essential.
The successful applicant will have exceptional attention to detail and the ability to meticulously execute and analyze highly complex experiments. Individuals applying for this position must be self-starters, strategic thinkers, action driven, flexible in changing direction and methods, thrive in a fast paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, succeed in communicating with all levels within the organization and provide immediate contribution.
What you will be doing:
- Lead the development and technology transfer efforts of new 10x products.
- Actively contribute to the development of products from early concept phase through post-launch sustaining activities.
- Represent Manufacturing, QC, and Operations on the product core team.
- Develop and optimize novel reagents for applications such as reverse transcription, amplification (linear and exponential), ligation, single strand recovery, targeted enrichment, and epigenetics.
- Conceive, develop, validate, and implement new QC methods to assess reagents, arrays, chips, consumables, and kits through a variety of analytical and functional tests.
- Drive the technology transfer phase of the product pipeline as new products move from R&D into Manufacturing in preparation for commercial launch.
- Independently troubleshooting and resolving reagent formulation, QC, and incoming material issues.
- Design and conduct experiments to determine underlying reaction mechanisms, cause and effect, failure modes, guard band studies and optimization using DOE methodologies.
- Help to build out our internal manufacturing and process development infrastructure across all product lines.
To be successful, you will need:
- PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, microbiology, biological engineering, analytical chemistry, molecular pathology, or related fields.
- 5+ years relevant biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience in product or process development.
- Significant contributions in all stages of product development (concept to post-launch) of successful customer-facing products
- Deep understanding of a wide variety NGS library preparation workflows; single cell and/or spatial-based workflows strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated success in developing and optimizing novel molecular biology assays.
- In depth knowledge of molecular biology and analytical techniques including qRT-PCR, ddPCR, FISH, IHC, PAGE, flow cytometry, HPLC, array spotting, molecular cloning, gene editing, and nucleic acid isolation and manipulation.
- Experience developing and implementing novel QC methods to assess reagent performance in both functional and orthogonal assays.
- Experience developing, optimizing, and using novel laboratory instrumentation.
- Proven ability to write SOPs and train others to successfully perform the work.
- Exceptionally strong collaboration and communication skills.
Additional desired skills:
- Previous work with custom reagent vendors and setting up successful, long standing OEM relationships.
- Microarray or spatial assay development experience as demonstrated by the launch of successful slide-based product lines.
- Experience operating liquid handling robots and other common laboratory automation tools. Ability to program these instruments would be very beneficial.
- Expertise working with human and animal tissues (preservation, sectioning, staining, imaging, etc)
- Experience using statistical tools, such as JMP to analyze complex data sets, create DOE experiments, and data trending.
- Experience working with microfluidic devices.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We offer a competitive and comprehensive health benefits package.
We support our employees with family friendly policies like parental leave, and other benefits.
Equity in 10x
10x wants every employee to have an ownership stake and equity is a part of our package.
We recognize hard work and believe in well-deserved time off.
Refresh yourself with healthy snacks provided daily and a walking/exercise trail in a beautiful setting out our back door.
A learning environment
Professional development is a high priority at 10x. We value continuous learning.
Collaborate with highly skilled colleagues in a stimulating cross disciplinary environment.
Work hard, play hard
Life isn't all about work and we celebrate that.
10x Genomics at a glance
10x Genomics focuses on Biotechnology, Healthcare, Medical, and Genetic Testing. Their company has offices in California. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, 10x Genomics has raised $222.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2019 at a valuation of $4B.