Accelerating the mastery of biology to advance human health
Senior Engineering Technician
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It’s a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they didn’t even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries described in over 1000 peer-reviewed publications across multiple application areas, including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. The innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
About the role:
We are seeking an experienced, collaborative, and results-oriented Senior Engineering Technician to join our Hardware R&D Group. This candidate will be on a close-knit hardware R&D engineering team developing new instrument platforms for 10x, interacting with mechanical, electrical, and software engineers. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience working on the guts of instruments with mechanisms, electronics, optics, and fluidics; they will have demonstrated skills and interests in hands-on work, design, calibration, and troubleshooting. You don’t have to know about chemistry or biology, but you should be interested! Much of the work is hands-on in the lab and shop assembling, tuning, testing, and revising one-of-a-kind prototypes. There are also opportunities for developing test fixtures and instrumentation and finding the best components for both the instruments and the test equipment.
Individuals applying for this position must be self-starters, action driven, flexible in changing direction and methods, thrive in a fast paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, succeed in communicating with all levels within the organization and provide immediate contribution.
*What you will be doing: *
- Running mechanical, electrical, optical, and fluidic tests on prototypes, and documenting results clearly.
- Serving as the responsible individual for equipment and responding to issues with prototype systems and test equipment in the laboratory (troubleshooting, repairing, and requalifying).
- Maintaining and calibrating prototype instruments and test rigs.
- Assembling components, subsystems, and systems for testing.
- Developing fixtures and instrumentation for assembly and testing.
*To be successful, you will need: *
- Associate’s degree in engineering technology and 4 years of related experience, or extensive experience that is equivalent.
- Experience with instruments including electro mechanical systems, preferably also with optics and/ or fluidics.
- Extensive experience diagnosing and correcting problems with instruments or equipment.
- Experience and aptitude with testing light mechanical systems.
- Familiarity with electrical circuits and power supplies.
- Experience with basic machining for modifying parts.
*Nice to have skills & background: *
- Extensive experience working on analytical instruments combining mechanisms, electronics, optics, and fluidics.
- Hands-on experience with breadboard build and optical alignment.
- Ability to troubleshoot electronic circuits.
- Extensive experience in reliability or life testing.
- Experience programming and operating CNC machines.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We offer a competitive and comprehensive health benefits package.
We support our employees with family friendly policies like parental leave, and other benefits.
Equity in 10x
10x wants every employee to have an ownership stake and equity is a part of our package.
We recognize hard work and believe in well-deserved time off.
Refresh yourself with healthy snacks provided daily and a walking/exercise trail in a beautiful setting out our back door.
A learning environment
Professional development is a high priority at 10x. We value continuous learning.
Collaborate with highly skilled colleagues in a stimulating cross disciplinary environment.
Work hard, play hard
Life isn't all about work and we celebrate that.
10x Genomics at a glance
10x Genomics focuses on Biotechnology, Healthcare, Medical, and Genetic Testing. Their company has offices in California. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, 10x Genomics has raised $222.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2019 at a valuation of $4B.