Accelerating the mastery of biology to advance human health
Software Engineer, Embedded
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It’s a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
Our software enables our scientists to better understand human health, such as pinpointing the differences between a cancer and normal cell and the genomic sequences the body makes in response to infection. We’ve built an ecosystem of powerful software, hardware, microfluidics, and chemistry to create products that are used by researchers around the world, including 96 of the top 100 global research institutions.
Our teams are encouraged to follow their passions and pursue new ideas in an inclusive and dynamic environment. The discoveries we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
About the role:
Are you a software engineer who likes to play with oscilloscopes? Do you think motors and sensors are awesome? Do you think about complexity theory in the morning and thermal conductivity in the evening? Then you're probably a good fit for our embedded software role! We're hiring a software engineer who is comfortable at the bits-and-bytes level to develop embedded for our next-generation DNA and RNA processing instruments. You should have great software fundamentals, a strong knowledge of C (or even assembly language) and a strong desire to learn more about embedded systems and sequencing. We do not require any prior background in biology or hardware.
You will have the opportunity to work on several exciting green field projects that will add another generation of powerful tools to every molecular biology lab. You will also be responsible for developing, testing, and releasing firmware upgrades for existing products.
What you will be doing:
- Design and develop Embedded Linux based Management and Control software for instrumentation hardware
- Develop microcontroller-based unit control logic with real-time performance characteristics.
- Write well structured, testable, efficient and maintainable software
- Contribute to the entire software lifecycle from requirements gathering to validation
- Work closely with the team lead and cross-functional team members to deliver high quality solutions
To be successful in this role you will need:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field and 2 years of experience
- Masters’ Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field
- Solid understanding of C or C++ programming language
- Good Linux system software experience
- Should have a strong foundation in system software and data structures
Nice to have skills and background:
- Experience in building control software using motion control and sensor feedback.
- Experience with CAN, SPI, I2C device management experience is a plus
- Experience in Linux platform software for ARM based System-on-Chip solutions
- Experience in graphical user interface development in Linux and/or Windows is a plus
- Experience in Python and C# (Windows)
- Experience in GTK
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We offer a competitive and comprehensive health benefits package.
We support our employees with family friendly policies like parental leave, and other benefits.
Equity in 10x
10x wants every employee to have an ownership stake and equity is a part of our package.
We recognize hard work and believe in well-deserved time off.
Refresh yourself with healthy snacks provided daily and a walking/exercise trail in a beautiful setting out our back door.
A learning environment
Professional development is a high priority at 10x. We value continuous learning.
Collaborate with highly skilled colleagues in a stimulating cross disciplinary environment.
Work hard, play hard
Life isn't all about work and we celebrate that.
10x Genomics at a glance
10x Genomics focuses on Biotechnology, Healthcare, Medical, and Genetic Testing. Their company has offices in California. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, 10x Genomics has raised $222.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2019 at a valuation of $4B.