Accelerating the mastery of biology to advance human health
Senior Automation Engineer-MES
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It’s a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they didn’t even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries described in over 1500 peer-reviewed publications across multiple application areas, including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. The innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
About the role:
We are seeking an outstanding Senior Automation Engineer to join our Consumable Products Development (CPD) Group at 10x Genomics. This is a key position for the commercialization of consumable products associated with Next Generation Sequencing chemistries. As part of the Automation Engineering group, the candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing MES solutions to enable 10x manufacturing of complex reagents and consumable. This is a multi-disciplinary position that will work closely with Product Development, Process Development, QC, Manufacturing, R&D and IT teams to assure that 10x implements world class solutions.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track-record in developing and implementing MES systems, ideally in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical field. This person should have a broad understanding of industrial automation, lifecycle engineering, business systems and processes. You should love difficult problems, and especially love solving them.
What you will be doing:
- Work closely with R&D, Lifecycle Engineering and the manufacturing team to help translate KPIs in MES system requirements
- Work closely with IT and the manufacturing team to architect, implement and test MES functionalities
- Develop and implement “no manual entry” electronic batch records for existing and new processes
- Develop and implement software tools to capture manufacturing data.
- Modify existing PLC driven systems to expose data to be consumed by the MES system
- Provide guidance for expansion of data collection activities to R&D organization
- Candidate must be willing to travel internationally (up to 10%)
To be successful, you will need:
- B.S./M.S/PhD. in Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science or related field with a minimum of 5 years post-graduate, industrial experience
- Experience developing, implementing and integrating MES systems
- Experience with standard industrial automation technologies, PLCs, SCADA, and HMI programming
- Experience working with database (e.g. MySQL) and data warehouse
- Experience interfacing equipment and instrumentation with MES/SCADA systems
- Experience interfacing MES systems with ERP, CMMS SCADA and QMS systems
- Strong organizational skills to manage multidisciplinary projects
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to perform under pressure and adapt to changes (e.g., priorities and timelines)
- Desire to build game-changing technologies and impact the world of life science research
Nice to have skills & background:
- Understanding of Laboratory Automation and experience in the Life Science field a plus
- Experience with control system like Allen Bradley PLCs using structured text language a plus
- Experience programming HMI and SCADA systems using Ignition a plus
- Experience with Oracle ERP/PLM Arena/Agile/CMMS systems a plus
- Familiarity with environmental monitoring of HVAC and manufacturing conditions (i.e. understanding of different sensors applications and limitations) a plus
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, with compelling technology, and taking products and processes to the next level.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We offer a competitive and comprehensive health benefits package.
We support our employees with family friendly policies like parental leave, and other benefits.
Equity in 10x
10x wants every employee to have an ownership stake and equity is a part of our package.
We recognize hard work and believe in well-deserved time off.
Refresh yourself with healthy snacks provided daily and a walking/exercise trail in a beautiful setting out our back door.
A learning environment
Professional development is a high priority at 10x. We value continuous learning.
Collaborate with highly skilled colleagues in a stimulating cross disciplinary environment.
Work hard, play hard
Life isn't all about work and we celebrate that.
10x Genomics at a glance
10x Genomics focuses on Biotechnology, Healthcare, Medical, and Genetic Testing. Their company has offices in California. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, 10x Genomics has raised $222.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2019 at a valuation of $4B.