Accelerating the mastery of biology to advance human health
Senior Automation Engineer
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It’s a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they didn’t even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries described in over 1500 peer-reviewed publications across multiple application areas, including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. The innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
About the role:
We are seeking an outstanding Senior Automation Engineer to join our Consumable Products Development (CPD) Group at 10x Genomics. This is a key position for the commercialization of consumable products associated with Next Generation Sequencing chemistries. This candidate will be responsible for developing and integrating automation solutions into the 10x manufacturing of complex consumable reagents. This is a multi-disciplinary position that will work closely with Product Development, Process Development, Manufacturing and R&D teams to assure 10x implements world class automation solutions.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track-record in developing custom automation solutions. You will be at the center of development of novel automation solutions for 10x. This person should have a broad understanding of automation solutions for dispense, packaging, formulation and materials handling. You should love difficult problems, and love building custom automation solutions to solve them.
What you will be doing:
- Develop and implement industrial automation solutions for robust manufacturing of plastic consumables.
- Work in collaboration with the R&D team to design and test prototypes.
- Collect, analyse and present metrology data.
- Lead design activities for complex automation projects from defining project scope all the way to the site acceptance tests (developed in house or in partnership with design manufacturing firms).
- Write software to control robotic systems and industrial PLCs for process control.
- Support existing automation infrastructure with troubleshooting and root cause analysis
- Analyze performance data and establish trends, identify errors and make improvements to systems to ensure reliability.
- Develop calibration and maintenance documentation for automation systems.
- Contribute automation expertise and leadership to cross-disciplinary development teams to develop timely automation solutions for new product manufacturing
To be successful, you will need:
- Advanced degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial engineering, Robotics or related field, with an emphasis in automation/manufacturing and a minimum of 5 years post-graduate, industrial experience
- Experience with manufacturing of plastic consumable or medical devices
- Proven ability to design and deploy automation solutions in a manufacturing setting
- Strong organizational skills to manage multidisciplinary projects
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Mechanical design experience with Solidworks
- Ability to perform under pressure and adapt to changes (e.g., priorities and timelines)
- Desire to build game-changing technologies and impact the world of life science research
Nice to have skills & background:
- Experience with injection molding processes and microfluidics chip manufacturing a plus
- Experience with analyzing complex datasets using JMP a plus
- Experience with precision manufacturing, metrology techniques such as white light interferometry and microscopy a plus
- Experience with automating biotech fluid dispense systems, pumps, spin coaters, balances, pipettors a plus
- Experience with standard industrial automation technologies, PLCs, SCARA, and HMI programming a plus
- Capability to perform light mechanical/electrical work
- Familiarity with environmental monitoring of HVAC and manufacturing conditions (i.e. understanding of different sensors applications and limitations)
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, with compelling technology, and taking products and processes to the next level.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We offer a competitive and comprehensive health benefits package.
We support our employees with family friendly policies like parental leave, and other benefits.
Equity in 10x
10x wants every employee to have an ownership stake and equity is a part of our package.
We recognize hard work and believe in well-deserved time off.
Refresh yourself with healthy snacks provided daily and a walking/exercise trail in a beautiful setting out our back door.
A learning environment
Professional development is a high priority at 10x. We value continuous learning.
Collaborate with highly skilled colleagues in a stimulating cross disciplinary environment.
Work hard, play hard
Life isn't all about work and we celebrate that.
10x Genomics at a glance
10x Genomics focuses on Biotechnology, Healthcare, Medical, and Genetic Testing. Their company has offices in California. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, 10x Genomics has raised $222.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2019 at a valuation of $4B.