As APIs, cloud computing, dev frameworks, and social networks make it easier for entrepreneurs to build internet-based businesses, it grows harder for investors to find the truly exceptional ones. Fortunately, the people who start exceptional companies tend to be friends with others like them.
I'm a Visiting Partner at Y Combinator and YC Alum (Perfect Audience S'11) who ran a fund that invested in 12-15 of the best companies in each YC batch from 2017-2019. The founders of those companies raise later rounds and intro me to their friends when they start companies.
This syndicate will invest in:
- Series A, B, C rounds of companies from my YC fund and personal investments.
- Series A, B, C rounds of YC companies I've learned to be doing very well
- Pre-seed and Seed rounds of companies started by friends of the 130+ YC founders I've backed.
- Seed rounds of the best companies that come out of the other top incubators.
- Biggest successes as an investor: D2C brands (Function of Beauty, Simple Contacts), Real Estate Tech (OpenListings, StarCity), FinTech (RazorPay), and B2B SaaS (Crayon)
- Live in SF. Originally from smalltown Michigan (St. Joseph)
- ex-Journalist (wrote for Slate.com)
I will syndicate when:
- The founders are stronger than me
- The company has epic founder-market fit
- There is a solid lead investor on board already
As an angel investor, he was refreshingly focused on our vision & traction, and not at all concerned with social proof. I love that. He also moved very quickly on his decision to invest....more
Since investing in Crayon, Brad has been hands off when we need him to be (after all, we've got a company to build!) but very involved at various points in our growth when we've asked him to roll up his sleeves and help. He's insightful, driven and pragmatic. He's supportive but tough. In a word, he's awesome.
Thanks Brad... Crayon and I are forever in your debt!