Benchling was started by a group of software engineers with molecular and computational biology experience. Many of us chose not to pursue paths in science because we were frustrated at how hard it was to work together. We’ve experienced the pain of poorly managed data, irreproducible research, and paper lab notebooks.
Thousands of scientists all around the world use Benchling to do research. Whether they are at the world’s largest companies, the top research universities, or working on a startup in a garage, scientists use Benchling for the same reason: to be empowered, not encumbered, by their tools.
Benchling is a software platform for groundbreaking life science research: gene therapy, cellular immunotherapy, gene editing, synthetic biology, and more. Our mission is to accelerate research and magnify its impact by bringing modern software to this historically underserved space. We offer R&D teams a suite of applications for molecular biology, note-taking, registration, sample tracking, request fulfillment, and workflow management. The company was founded by a team of MIT graduates and has raised funding from Benchmark, Thrive Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, and Y Combinator. Our customers range from pharmaceutical giants to leading biotech companies to some of the world's most renowned research institutes.
We are looking for a passionate and motivated Sales Development Representative with a love for selling and a tenacious and methodical approach to prospecting.
* Create a fantastic first impression with prospects and customers while building pipeline for Account Executives
* Follow up and qualify inbound requests and MQLs, via the telephone and email, for scientific fit
* Organize, categorize, and prioritize sales leads in Salesforce and measure lead conversion and performance against quota
* Leverage prospecting tools to research companies and identify key decision makers at new accounts
* Develop customized pitches for different target accounts and personas
* Work with Account Executives to drive outbound prospecting activities, including cold calling, emailing, and communicating our value proposition to decision makers
* Work with the field marketing and sales teams to drive attendance at Benchling field events such as executive dinners and happy hours
* Staff tradeshows and follow-up on leads collected at the Benchling booth
* Bachelor’s degree in a life science discipline, required (e.g. molecular biology, biotechnology, biomedical engineering, biochemistry)
* 1-2 years of experience in a Sales Development Representative, Business Development Representative, or similar role
* Alternatively, strong interest in SDR role with some prior life sciences experience
* Passionate about Benchling’s mission and the acceleration of life sciences research
* Not afraid to pick up the phone and cold call
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Persistent, self-motivated, and willing to go beyond strict job responsibilities
* Driven to meet/exceed goals with a proven history of consistent high achievement
* Gritty and resourceful
* Methodical and disciplined work ethic
Benchling makes life science research faster and more collaborative.
Biotechnology has the potential to solve humanity’s most pressing challenges, such as disease, renewable energy, clean water, and hunger. The brightest minds are working on these problems but they are equipped with archaic tools. We aspire to fix this and increase the rate of scientific output with a platform for researchers to design and run experiments, analyze data, and share results.