• code interactive map and iterate logos for University of Michigan Duderstadt Center website redesign • create animated GIFs for the Billboard Music Awards, TEDxUofM,...more and the Stamps School of Art and Design • design digital promotional materials and branding for Yonder Window Theatre Company
• design digital media such as UI assets, evites, logos, motion graphics, video, architectural renderings, and 3D models • produce print media deliverables such as invites,...more posters, event programs, book layouts, and custom cards • execute environmental graphics such as wayfinding, donor walls, exterior signage, street art, and mural designs for Citymeals on Wheels warehouse and 2 Broadway theaters • mentor 4-6 junior designers and interns per year
• provide tech support for Mac and PC workstations, recording booth, Cintiq tablets, media conversion racks, document scanners, and multimedia editing rooms • lead digital...more media commons orientations of hardware and software for audio, video, 3D, and graphic design
e-commerce website that sells tabletop board & card games
minimalist fitness dashboard that uses data visualization
In response to the information overload tracked by conventional fitness apps, fitby is a simple, lightweight solution that allows users to monitor just two key datasets: fitness and nutrition. Users can view their all-time stats, as well as check in daily to record their meals, measurements, and workouts in a lucid fashion.
Beiatrix Pedrasa built Fitby during a 6-day hackathon and won the Sigurdsson Award for best UI Design. She plans to add and repair certain features in order to continually improve fitby’s user experience. Fitby is currently deployed on https://fitby.herokuapp.com.
I was the sole developer of this app and handled the planning, visual design, backend development, frontend development, and styling. My biggest takeaways from this project were crafting a beautiful user interface using Material-UI & Animate.css, and diving into data visualization with Recharts. These aforementioned libraries – Material-UI, Animate.css, and Recharts – were new to me at the time, but I was able to both learn these new things and develop the entire app over the course of a 6-day hackathon.
• integrated Three.js with React to generate 3D models • created planet database table and routes with Sequelize & Express, tested backend with Mocha & Chai • designed wireframes in Figma, styled in CSS and Animate.css • configured Travis CI/CD deployed to Heroku
What I Do
I am a software engineer and visual designer who is passionate about the intersection of art and technology. With 2.5 years of professional experience as a Graphic Designer and 2.5 years as a multimedia lab Computer Consultant, I am equipped to design and build stunning interactive experiences.
• won Sigurdsson Award for best UI design at Stackathon for my fitness app, fitby
• designed wayfinding + donor wall for 2 Broadway theaters, and mural art and signage for Citymeals on Wheels Warehouse
• certified associate in project management [12/2015-12/2020]
• Rockwell Group T-shirt design contest winner [honorable mention 2017, 2018]
• Random House, Inc. Creative Writing Contest [honorable mention 2012]
As a software engineer who comes from a visual design background, my ideal workplace is a tech company that lives in the realm of arts/culture/media. I would like to join a collaborative engineering team where I can constantly learn, grow, ask questions, balance work + life, and exercise creativity.
If money were not an issue, what would you be doing right now?
Experience living long-term in countries all around the world! Even if I weren't working, I would still want to code and make art. I would also want to take classes like gourmet cooking, dance, and figure skating!
What words of wisdom do you live by?
Hope for the best & prepare for the worst (keep your expectations low). Do things today that your future self would be thankful for. Write lists.
What aspects of your work are you most passionate about?
The state of pure focus + flow. The feeling of accomplishment of finally solving a problem after struggling with it for hours.