area17 is seeking a masters or Ph.D. level candidate to join our team as a Lead Engineer for computer vision aided navigation. You will drive research and development to enable machines to navigate autonomously using vision-based systems. You are expected to be an expert at solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches. Ideal candidates will have strong familiarity with real-time image processing and navigation algorithms for both online and offline SLAM. You should have a working knowledge of feature detection, multi-sensor fusion, structure from motion, visual odometry, visual-inertial filters and 3D scene reconstruction. You will be working with world-class applied researchers from SRI Sarnoff with decades of computer vision expertise to transition and build a corpus of knowledge within area17.
• Implementing and integrating cutting edge visual navigation software on aerial robotic platforms equipped with a wide range active and passive sensors
• Development of real-time multi-sensor navigation algorithms / 6DOF SLAM
• Developing comprehensive simulation and testing procedures for determining the best choice of sensors and algorithms with a reductive mindset
• Setting up and calibrating sensors
• Data acquisition and analysis
• MS/PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or equivalent field of study
• 5+ years of experience designing, implementing, and tuning real-time multi-sensor navigation algorithms
• Strong object-oriented implementation skills (C++ required)
• Deep experience with OpenCV
• Experience with alternative sensors (LIDAR, Ultrasonic, etc.)
• Experience with CUDA, OpenCL, and OpenGL desired
area17, a spin-out from SRI International, is developing a low-cost, high performance vision system for drones.
A combination of commodity sensors and processors and an advanced software stack allow us to provide collision avoidance, obstacle detection, and simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM), to enable autonomous drone flight both indoors and outside, that brings a new class of capabilities to consumer and commercial grade drones.